I was wondering if you could tell me what I would need to do if I smell gas in my home. I think I know what to do, but would appreciate some expert advice.
Thank you! – Cindy A, Phoenix, AZ
Great question! If you smell gas in your home, here are a few simple tips for you to keep in mind. A good idea would be to bookmark this page or print it out so that you will know what to do in the event that you do smell gas in your home.
If you smell gas:
- Do not use light switches or phones, including cell phones in your home.
- Leave your home immediately.
- Call the gas company from a neighbor’s home.
In an emergency the gas can be shut off at the valve at the gas meter.
The typical locations for gas valves in your home are at the:
- Furnace in the attic
- Furnace in the mechanical room
- Utility/Laundry Room
- Water heater
The typical locations for gas valves on the exterior of your home are at the:
- Gas main at the gas meter
- Exterior fireplace
Stay safe and don’t take any changes if you smell gas in your home!