Most of us would probably agree that glass tile is gorgeous to look at and adds a unique style to any space. But, aside from their aesthetic appeal, is glass tile a practical design choice? After all, glass is delicate and breakable…isn’t it?
Characteristics of Glass Tile: Glass tile has many wonderful features that make it a great material for many projects, from both visual and practical standpoints.
- Shatter-Resistant: Unlike the type of glass used in vases and light bulbs, glass tiles are built to be shatter-resistant.
- Durable: Strong and long lasting, glass tile is extremely practical.
- Water Resistant: As glass tiles don’t absorb water, they’re popular in areas with high humidity.
- Easy-to-Clean: Since their surfaces aren’t highly porous, they’ll get back their shine with just a few wipes.
- Heat Resistant: Heat resistant tile comes in a variety of styles, colors and materials, providing options that work with many different design schemes.
Glass Tile in the Home: Glass tiles can be incorporated in several areas of a home and are an affordable way to add a bit of glimmer to any area. Due to its heat and water resistance, glass tile is a perfect choice for fireplaces, kitchens and bathrooms.
Here are some different ways glass tile is commonly used:
- When used in fireplace surrounds, the firelight makes the tile shimmer, creating an amazing ambience.
- In kitchen backsplashes and countertops, glass creates a clean, contemporary look. Watercolors glass tiles provide a stunning look for a kitchen backsplash.
- In bathroom countertops, tub surrounds, and shower walls. Shimmer glass is a particularly beautiful choice for bathroom designs as it is hand-poured, resulting in a variation of color among the individual mosaic tiles.
As you can see, glass tile is extremely versatile! With the many different options available, and each type of glass having its own unique qualities, you can select the tile that truly reflects your style.