Summer is in full force which means cookouts, barbecues, and picnics! All of these activities can be improved with herbs right from your home garden. Do you not have herbs in your home garden? No worries, we have the perfect list of herbs for you to plant:
The Six Must-Have Garden Herbs:
- Basil. One of the most popular herbs that homeowners grow is basil. It is rich in nutrients and full of bold flavors. Basil is one of the most versatile herbs because it can be used fresh or dried! The meal possibilities are endless with basil from homemade pesto to basil tea!
Pro-tip: While you are growing basil in your garden, pull out any flower stalks that begin to grow. By doing so, you will have the best-tasting basil.
Meal Idea: There is nothing like a homemade margarita pizza with fresh basil. You and your loved ones will delight in the pizza’s simple yet bold taste.
- Chives. Not only is this herb delicious, but it discourages mosquitoes and other unwanted insects from entering your garden bed. Chives are light yet tasty. Chefs compare their delicious taste to onions.
Pro-tip: When preparing to take your chives to the kitchen, try to keep 1/2 inch of the chive’s stub in your garden to help keep it growing properly.
Meal Idea: Want an easy dish to bring to your next party? Try making homemade sour cream and chive dip.
- Cilantro. You will get two opinions on cilantro: I love it or I hate it. People usually have very strong feelings about cilantro. If you are a cilantro lover, you must add this unique herb to your home garden. Plus, cilantro has several health benefits from aiding in digestion to reducing inflammation.
Pro-tip: Throw out any dried, brown leaves from your cilantro plant to stimulate a healthy growth.
Meal Idea: Guacamole can be savory with a dash of cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper and diced tomatoes. The cilantro helps bring all these flavors together into an enticing Mexican dish.
- Mint. Not only will its smell delight your senses, but mint’s versatility makes it the perfect herb. You can add mint into your favorite drink or even a sandwich. Mint can be delicious in a variety of different dishes, just try it out.
Fun fact: Mint has beneficial properties that can be used to help to relieve headaches or sinus infections and can help with digestion.
Meal Idea: In a water bottle, place a couple pieces of mint with sliced strawberries. The flavors will help you drink more water and aid your digestion.
- Parsley. The herb that takes away bad breath and tastes delicious. You will notice that parsley has a more bitter taste than the other herbs, but it works well in all types of dishes.
Meal Idea: How delectable does grilled steak with parsley sound? The next time you prepare a meal on the grill, try adding some parsley as a delicious garnish.
- Rosemary. You will love this herb because of its versatility and bold flavors. Rosemary can be paired with meat, vegetables, nuts or bread.
Meal Idea: Add rosemary sprigs to some olive oil and voila, you have a mouth-watering dipping sauce for your bread.
Having an herb garden makes cooking all the better. You will love the fresh flavors and spice your herbs can add to a meal.