Using ancient Feng Shui can do more than just improve the flow of energy in your home but it will also enhance your quality of life.
Five Elements of Feng Shui
Water, wood, earth, fire, and metal are the five elements of Feng Shui. You should try to incorporate at least one of these Feng Shui elements into each room in your home. Plants or ceramic accessories can represent earth while candles or lamps can stand in for the fire. Each of these elements will inspire a different mood. Here are some additional tips for incorporating each element into your decor:
Wood – Wood harnesses creativity. Traits like strength, birth, flexibility, and growth are a representation of wood. Too much wood in a design scheme will make a room feel rigid. Too little shows a lack of creativity. When using wood in your decor be sure to include some of the following.
- Natural fabrics
- Wood furnishing
- Hardwood flooring
Fire – Fire increases enthusiasm. It also encourages leadership and expressiveness. Using too much of this element will come off as aggressive and shows irritability. To expand fire elements in a space try the suggestions below.
- Add candles or allowing more sunlight to flow into your room
- Accent with animal prints
- Use shades of red, purple and pink
Earth – Earth invokes physical strength while generating an overall sense of stability. Too much of this element in a room will give off sensations of sluggishness and boredom. On the other hand, not enough can make you feel disorganized and unfocused. You can incorporate elements of the earth in several ways.
- Use earth tones such as brown, green and sandy colors
- Hang paintings of landscapes or nature scenes
- Add potted trees and green plants
- Incorporate flat surfaces
Metal – Metal encourages mental clarity and logic. When this element is used within a space it produces characteristics such as organization and righteousness. When used generously in a room it can be perceived as over critical. You can enhance a space with metal used judiciously.
- Use iron, gold, or silver fixtures
- Include rocks and stone
- Decorate with colors such as white, silver, gray, and light pastel colors
Water – Water is the final element in Feng Shui. Water brings inspiration, wisdom and it balances emotions. You can incorporate it into your design scheme through the use of water-like items.
- Use deep and dark tones
- Incorporate objects with reflective surfaces such as mirrors
- Find items that are irregularly shaped