Believe it or not, but rugs can actually invite conversation into a space. The way you set up your rug in a room can make or break the design and the flow of conversation. When choosing a rug, there are four main ideas you will want to keep in mind: the colors, the use, the size and the placement. For your convenience, we broke it down for you. Let’s take a look!
Area Rugs 101:
- The Colors. When choosing an area rug, you are choosing a piece of decor for your room; therefore, you want it to tie in well with your theme. Pulling colors from your room’s design is essential. All of the colors in the rug do not necessarily need to be found in your room. You will just want a few of the colors to have been pulled from your rug’s design. Also, you want to make sure that your area rug is not too distracting. The rug should tie into your overall design, not take away from it. Try to select a subtle pattern or design rather than a bold, overwhelming design for your area rug.
- The Use. Before you choose your rug, you will want to take into consideration the use of it. What room will you be buying a rug for in your space? If it is in a room that is only used for decorative purposes, you can buy a less durable and more expensive rug. If you are placing the rug inside a constantly-used living room, you will want to choose a more durable rug. Also, you will want to consider the amount of foot-traffic in the room. The more dirt that will be tracked into the room, the darker the rug should be.
- The Size. You want to make sure that you do not choose a rug that is too big or too small for your space. For guidance on selecting the appropriate size, you will want to consult a sales representative at your chosen flooring store. Give them dimensions of the room and your general design plan to help them make an accurate suggestion for you.
- The Placement. The way you place your rug should invite conversation. There are two main ways that you can set up your rug to encourage discussion:
- The furniture should be placed in an “H” shape with the rug in the center.
- The furniture should be placed in a “U” shape with the rug in the center.
While placing your furniture on your new rug, you will want to follow these rules:
1. All of the furniture’s legs on the rug.
2. The front furniture’s legs on the rug.
3. None of the furniture’s legs on the rug.
We hope that you found these tips helpful. For more expert advice, be sure to visit our blog hub. Thanks for reading!