Cold and flu season is amongst us! With kids being sent home early from school and you potentially missing work, the season can hit us fast and hard. Fortunately, there are some preventative measures that you and your family members can take. Instead of worrying about getting sick, it is time to take action and remove those unwanted germs. To help homeowners, we created a simple guide to help you prepare for cold and flu season. Let’s take a look!
How to Prepare for Cold & Flu Season:
- Buy Medicines in Advance. When you are feeling under the weather, there is nothing worse than having to go to the store to pick up medicines. For your convenience when you are ill, stock up on medication now. Buy the basics: pain relief, decongestants, antihistamines, and cough medicines.
- Have Supplies around Your Home. Make sure to sit out tissues and hand sanitizer around your home. Encourage your family members to use the sanitizer after they sneeze, cough or blow their nose.
- Wipe Everything Down. With everyone coming home from all different places, there is no way to know what germs they are bringing with them. To prevent the spreading of germs, take a disinfectant wipe and wipe down everything. Try to focus on objects that multiple people touch like door handles, television remotes, and light switches.
- Stay Healthy. A great way to prevent illness is to stay active and eat healthily. Encourage yourself and your family members to drink plenty of water and to get a good night’s rest. Also, you may want to talk to your family doctor about daily vitamins. Ask your doctor what vitamins your family members should be taking to help stay healthy.
- Wash Your Hands. Out of habit, we may not wash our hands as long as we probably should. Washing your hands can genuinely help prevent the spread of germs. To stop germs in their track, make sure that you wash your hands for a full twenty seconds. According to The Center for Disease Control, you want to make sure that you get between your fingers and under your fingernails by scrubbing for twenty seconds.
Remember to keep your floors clean and free of dirt and dust. For carpet and wood floors, be sure to vacuum/sweep daily regularly. Removing those unwanted particles can help promote a happy and healthy home. Thanks for reading!