Are you planning a small, casual dinner party at your home? If so, we believe that having your close friends over for a homecooked meal and great conversation is the perfect idea of a good time. While some people find inviting guests over to be nerve-wracking, we believe with the right tips and tricks you can become host/hostess of the year. Let’s take a look!
Preparing Your Home
Of course, the first thing you will want to do is prepare your home for guests. You can easily impress visitors by having a home that is sparkling clean. While you do not have to launch a full out spring cleaning project, you should make sure the main areas are free of clutter and smudges. Here are some tips for effectively cleaning for your dinner party:
- Make sure the windows are clean and bright to allow natural light to flood your space
- Tidy up the entryway for guests to store their shoes and coats
- Deep clean the guest bathroom and stock up on extra toiletries for guests to access
- You will also want to clean the kitchen area because let’s be honest; no one wants to eat food prepared in a dirty kitchen
- Lastly, you should tackle any areas that the guests may hang out or see (i.e., the living room, home office, dining room, etc.)
First, you should inquire about food allergies ahead of time. Before you decide on what you are going to cook, it is in good taste to ask your guests if there are any allergies you should know. There is nothing worse than getting ready to serve your infamous pecan pie and find out that a guest has a severe nut allergy. Remember that the menu should include a variety of foods that everyone can enjoy.
Secondly, cook dishes that you have successfully made at least twice. Preparing meals that you have yet to “master” may not go over too well with your guests. If you are set on wowing your friends with a new recipe, try making the dish at least a few weeks beforehand.
Lastly, keep it simple. When throwing a casual dinner party, you should cook smart by avoiding cooking foods that require constant stirring and flipping. Try a simple buffet style meal or a one-pot meal accompanied with a couple of simple side dishes for an easy but delicious meal.
What are your best dinner party tips? We would love for you to share your thoughts with other readers in the comment section. Thanks for reading!