Are you thinking of adding character to your home by incorporating some antique pieces? The world of antiques is vast, but it has so much to offer. Many people think that you have to have access to exclusive places in order to get some really lovely pieces; however, antiques are more accessible than you may think. If you are curious and do not know where to start, do not worry; we are here to guide you.
An antique is an item that is at least a hundred years old. Goods are considered to be vintage if they are at least two decades old. Collectibles also can be a chic addition to the home. Collectibles can be items that are either vintage or antique.
Why Invest in Antiques?
- Antiques can add a ton of warmth and style to your home. Here are some key reasons why your antiques can be the stylish touch that your home needs:
- Most new furniture that you will find in big box stores decreases in value over time. However, antiques hold their value and in some instances, can increase over the years.
- Most antique furniture and items are made from high quality and durable materials as opposed to mass-produced items. You can expect it to last for several more years to come.
- Even more importantly, a beautiful antique item can add a lot of character to a space, especially if there is a history behind it.
Learning More About Antiques
If you have an interest in antiques but do not know where to start, you should begin teaching yourself about different styles and their time periods. You can visit antique shops, auctions, and fairs to see what kind of pieces are out there. Most dealers love to share their knowledge.
Shopping Online or Instore
You can shop for antiques online and in-store. However, shopping for antiques in person is always much better, especially when you are just beginning. Vendors will sell at fairs, flea markets, and estate sales. You can also shop through online vendors like Craigslist and eBay. Here are some things you should keep in mind when shopping online:
- Large furniture pieces come with hefty shipping prices.
- Ask for additional information such as photos from different angles and do not be afraid to ask questions
- Inquire about the vendor’s return policy
We hope our advice helps you feel more confident about buying antiques for your home. If you are an avid antiquer yourself, we encourage you to share your processes and thoughts below in the comment section.