From Chinese takeout to grandma’s special dish, our refrigerators see a lot of food over the year. The organization in our refrigerators can make or break our family’s health. It is extremely important to be able to see all of your expired products and constantly clean out your fridge. Poor organization can lead to a poor visualization which causes us to not know when things need put in the trash. To help maximize your family’s refrigerator, we have five simple hacks for making your fridge more manageable.
Ways to Make Your Fridge More Manageable:
- Get Adjusted. Your refrigerator’s shelves are able to adjust to your personal preferences. Take advantage of the ability to recreate your shelving and have it work in a way that is beneficial to you. Your everyday lifestyle should affect the way your fridge is set up. This will make things more convenient and easier for you. If you find yourself wanting to place the milk on the top shelf, reconfigure the shelves towards your liking.
- Labeled. Always label everything with a date in your fridge. This is one of the most beneficial life hacks we can give you. From your eggs to last night’s pasta dinner, you want to mark it with the date in permanent marker. This will help make everyone in the household on the same page and reduce unwanted confusion.
- Be sure to mark eggs with their expiration dates. This will save you and your family from consuming expired dairy.
- If you do not want to ruin your containers, you can place clear tape on the container then write the date in permanent marker.
- Separated. Everything in your refrigerator should be grouped by what it is. This will help make finding food a little easier for everyone. If you find yourself running out of drawers, you can purchase baskets + bins for extra storage.
- Pro-Tip: NEVER put dairy in your refrigerator doors. Since the doors are frequently open, they fluctuate in temperature too often. This can create a health hazard; therefore, be sure to place your dairy and meat products inside of the fridge.
- Lined. Line your shelves with placemats or shelf liners to avoid spillage stains. The mats make it easier to wipe down and clean up unwanted messes.
- Fresh. Mask unwanted scents and odors with coffee grinds or baking soda. Simply place the grinds or baking soda into an open dish and let it sit inside of your fridge. They will help collect the smelly food scents and reduce the stink when you open your fridge.
What ways keep your fridge manageable and under control? We would love to hear your thoughts and feedback in the comment section below.